Saturday, September 09, 2006

"Poppy, We Could Get In Trouble For This"

Friday was Grandparent's Day at my grand-children's elementary school. Two days earlier I had received an excited call from my grandson Chris asking if I could come have breakfast with him and Kasie for Grandparent's Day. I was not too thrilled with the idea of driving forty-five minutes to sit on undersized furniture at 7:15 AM and then to lumber up on the bleachers as I am inclined to do if I happen to find a seat but being with these two cookie-crumblers anytime really excites me.

Breakfast was good and the price was right. Two biscuits, two sausage patties and a "pouch" of milk the kids had to teach me to operate set me back a whole buck-fifty.

After the meal, we retired to the gymnasium where I lumbered up the bleachers as expected. While we were waiting for the program to begin Kasie, who is in Kindergarten, was sitting in my lap when she just happened to spot my pocket New Testament. As 5 year olds are inclined to do, she reached and took it from my pocket. "What's this, Poppy?" she inquired as she began to flip through the pages. That's Poppy's Bible, I explained. A look of dread instantly spread over her five year old face. As she quickly returned it to me, she exclaimed, "We're not supposed to have these, Poppy! We could get into trouble."

May God Bless the USA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home